Friday, May 17, 2013

Top 20 From The First 20 Years #3: Sick of it All/Shelter/Snapcase/Baby Gopal 9/23/94



CMJ music marathon 1994 was the first time i would go to shows four days in a row. Would be so very far from the last. Wednesday we went to Consolidated/MC 900ft Jesus/Hole/Weezer, Thursday was top 20 contender Quicksand/Into Another/Orange 9mm, Friday however...

Friday September 23, 1994 was the first big hardcore show of my life. I mean i had been to cb's once to see a high school friend's band (and did see no redeeming social value that night!), but this was pretty much as big a show as you could get. I also remember going to this show alone. My friends, including the ones who went to the quicksand show the night before, were apparently terrified to go to this show. I was warned left and right that i would get my ass kicked just for having long hair at this show. I marched on regardless.

If you see the above ticket, there was also a pre-determined end time. Had to GTFO before the club kids came in and overdosed. Which was fine for me, an early night after a couple of shows, with more coming that weekend sounded great.

It was my first time at Limelight, and it was odd, i only got lost once, and could not figure out how to get to the balconies. Baby Gopal opened the show. Now, over the years i have had plenty of arguments about this band, but syrupy sweet girl vocal pop has always been my weakness. They also gave me a false sense of security at the show. It seemed so safe and happy.

Quick set change and the driving, pulsating, screaming joy that was Snapcase blew me away. The crowd quite literally knocked me off my feet, but was pretty quick to pick me up, made sure i was o.k. and quickly went back to the chaos. It felt great. I didn't know any of the material, but i could feel it in my bones.

Shelter took the stage. Dressed in robes. I knew nothing of Hare Krishna, let alone Krishna-core so it seemed sort of odd to me. I felt myself compelled to get closer to the stage. Ray was (and still is) a very charismatic front man, and even to a long haired metal kid, i felt like he was addressing me personally.

About a month from this show, Sick of it All would release their major label Debut Scratch the Surface, this was something of a release/preview show. I only knew a few songs, and then they went ahead and played some new stuff. I moved and danced and covered my face and fell and had people climbing all over me the whole set. I don't think i stopped smiling once. Even without my circle of friends at the show, i was still surrounded by friends, i just didn't know them yet. I felt like i belonged.

The show ended, and oh my god did we get the bum's rush by security. I'm pretty sure they just screamed "GET THE FUCK OUT" over and over again. I left, sweaty and happy, arms around complete strangers that were now sort of family. I grabbed every damn flyer from everyone handing them out outside, and never looked back...

No comments:

Post a Comment